Friday, April 10, 2009

Battle #1 Results: Sourdough Wins!

Hands down, the real sourdough bread won.  Dad described it a having a thicker, crispier crust with a tasty sour flavor while the inside was moist and chewy.  The NKB, on the other hand, had a nice crispy/buttery crust but there was a huge lack of flavor compared to the sourdough.  It was fluffy inside but not much flavor or texture besides that.   

I shaped them around 6 when I got home and baked them around 10:30 for about an hour.  My dad has gobbled down about 8 slices already, and I just finished baking both about an hour ago.  I hope I still have some left for the work potluck tomorrow... And my starter is smelling a bit funky/intensely sour... I hope that supposed to happen. :)

Anyways, here are some pictures! (the bread had already been "broken" by the time I got around to taking pictures).  In all of these pictures, the sourdough is the one on the right, and the NKB is the one on the left.  Both got poofy but didn't rise super big - I think it's because the containers they proofed in were big so the blobs of dough just spread out before rising.  Oh well, still delicious. :)  I will try and post Mark Bittman's sourdough recipe here.   It's super easy, I promise.  It just takes a bit of time /planing but is definitely worth the wait and effort! :)


3 comments:

  1. Looks awesome B! Can't wait for that recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is GREAT!!!! really enjoyed reading them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, by the way the name came up as "Touma" but it's me, Eri :)

    ReplyDelete