Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Battle #1: No Knead Bread vs. Sourdough Bread Bake Off!

I couldn't really think of what to write about an intro for this blog so I decided that I may as well just jump right in and start blogging.

I've just started a new experiment using two different sourdough recipes. One is Nancy Leson's "No Knead Bread" and the other is derived from Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything".


The NKB is a mixture of bread flour, salt, white vinegar, yeast, lager beer, and water. I've used this recipe more than 8 times, and the results have been fantastic: a fluffy crispy bread that is super simple to make. I've even taken to mixing it up, adding whole cloves of garlic before the proofing phase, and rosemary also adds a nice touch. Using whole wheat flour makes the bread a little denser but at least you get that "healthy" feeling while eating the bread. This recipe is a bit demanding though, requiring a heavy investment of a dutch oven to give it that golden buttery crust, which in actuality makes the purchase worth it.

However, I had gotten bored of the NKB. It's a no brainer to make. I was itching to try something more authentic: real sourdough bread [ or as real as you can get in a home kitchen] . So I looked at the handy dandy cook bible that Dave got me for my birthday last year and found a pretty simple recipe for sourdough bread, starter and all. I mixed the starter for the first time about 2 weeks ago, and have made 3 or so loaves of bread since then. [Side note: I'm always reminded of Anthony Bourdain's "Kitchen Confidential" chapter about his bread man begging Anthony to "feeeeeed the starterrrr"; great book, you gotta read it.] Anyways, I've been feeding my starter, and experimenting on/off with whole wheat flours and bread flours. This recipe is pretty simple, just consisting of flour, water, yeast, and salt. And the result is a fluffy and chewy bread with a light touch of sour flavor that really satisfies the pallet.

Overall, I'll say that King Arthur's Bread Flour has produced the best results in both bread recipes. I'm doing a head to head competition right now. I've got 1 loaf of each rising in the oven for their 8+ hour beauty naps; I'll shape and proof them after I get home from work and bake them off. I have found that if you shape your bread, place it in an empty oven that has been on for 30 seconds, that slight bit of heat really helps the bread rise beautifully before baking off.

Well, I wrote more that I expected. I guess it's easy to when you're taking about delicious things. Hopefully this blog takes off. We'll see. I'll post later once the breads are done and give you the low-down on the bread smack down.

2 comments:

  1. I'll come help taste!
    Oh, pretty sure @ the end of Omnivore's Dilema he talks about making his own yeast. Always wanted to try that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious! I want to try sourdough sometime but it sounded so intimidating before.

    P.S. I also have a food blog!! foodfordinosaurs.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete