Wednesday, September 30, 2009

More bread! - an experiment!

I just mixed up a batch of No Knead Bread, but am experimenting with adding BACON. I remember buying a loaf of bread in Germany that had "speck" in it, which is bacon. The bacon was dispersed throughout the loaf, and added a nice salty taste, too. I lightly browned diced bacon and rendered the fat off, and let it cool before adding it to the dry ingredients. I also added in rosemary, so hopefully that combination will be delectable together. I'm baking it off tomorrow night (possibly adding cheese to the second loaf) so I'll let you know how it turns out :)


**************************
UPDATE: 10/1/09 , 9:33PM

Turns out I was so excited to make the bacon and rosemary bread that I forgot to add in YEAST!! So I got home from work today expecting the dough to have tripled in size - my heart broke seeing all that wasted king arthur flour and bacon. The dough was same size as yesterday, and I didn't think it'd taste good all dense and some junk.

But no worries, I started up a new batch again so hopefully there will be some good results tomorrow! yum yum : )



**************************
UPDATE: 10/3/09, 11:45PM

Here is the update of my bacon bread, with pictures! I ended up waking up at 4am Friday to shape and proof the bread, and baked it off at 6am, so it was ready to eat at 7 before work!! I felt like such the baker (candlestickmaker) :)


Anyways, the bread turned out pretty good! The bacon made it a little greasy, but it was still very fluffy and light. The bacon wasn't super salty, so it was more of a bite of bacon along with the bread, and I kept worrying a piece of bacon would fall out when I was toasting a slice of bread at work - I'm sure my co-workers would think I'm crazy to make bacon bread, esp. if a piece of bacon was stuck at the bottom of our toaster and created some sort of fire or whatnot. Anyways, tasty bread but I don't think I'd do it again with this bacon. I think I'd try with pancetta since it's saltier, and I would cut it into smaller pieces - the bacon I had were like 1/4" pieces.

Overall, I was pleased with the experiment and am thinking of a new concoction for the next loaf of bread. Ideas are welcome! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment